Lee County Sheriff Brian Estes said Tuesday night that a juvenile had been charged with at least some of the bomb threats that have disrupted activity at Lee County High School since November.
A press release from Estes indicated the suspect, identified as “a student,” is alleged to be responsible for “(Tuesday’s) threats,” as well as “the threats that have been reported throughout the months of March and April.”
Lee County High School has locked down five times since November over reported threats, all of which were determined to be unfounded by law enforcement. Southern Lee was locked down for part of a day in late March due to another unspecified threat that was also determined to be unfounded.
According to Estes, juvenile petitions for six counts of communicating threats of mass violence on an educational property and one count of communicating threats have been filed against the suspect, who as a juvenile is exempt from public records laws governing the public release of his or her identity.
Estes said the count of communicating threats was related to a specific alleged threat against a school resource officer.
The sheriff’s office press release didn’t address whether the suspect in the bomb threats from March and April was thought to be connected to the threats made in November and February, or last month’s threat at Southern Lee High School.